There are few women with naturally curly hair who don’t fully understand the frustrations and complications of taking care of natural hair! Our hair is particularly vulnerable to damage, and demands special care and extra attention. Taking the time to treat your natural curls right ensures robust, healthy, and head-turning hair.
Here are a few tips and suggestions for at-home hair care that helps you love your natural curls:
- Limit the amount of times you wash your hair. Keep your mane strong by washing once every seven to ten days. Washing less frequently prevent dryness and product buildup. It also keeps your hair from becoming brittle. When you do wash your hair, use shampoos and conditioners formulated for ethnic hair.
- Condition your natural hair often. Referred to as “co-washing,” applying conditioner to your hair keeps it manageable and controls frizz. Try to keep the product away from your scalp as using too much conditioner may cause your hair to look greasy. You’ll also want to stay away from conditioners containing heavy emollients such as lanolin. Look instead for those that contain essential oils such as grape seed.
- Watch out for silicone and sulfates. Steer clear of these additives as they tend to weigh hair down, leaving it dull and lifeless.
- Also beware of “natural” ingredients. Used more as a marketing ploy than a true measurement of the safety and efficacy of a product’s ingredients, the word “natural” is used far too loosely. Look for hair products that use organic ingredients instead.
- Use a wide-tooth comb and avoid brushes.
- When blow-drying, use the comb attachment to avoid tugging on wet hair.
- Avoid styling with heat, but when you choose to do so, make sure to apply a heat protector spray and keep the temperature low.
- Keep it loose and natural. Braids, ponytails, weaves and cornrows look great but they do put a lot of stress on your natural locks. Take a break every few weeks and go natural to keep hair healthy.
- Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase.
- Moisturize ends with coconut, castor, or olive oil every day for shiny, healthy hair.
If you have any questions about the care, styling or maintenance of your ethnic hair, contact Swoope Hair in Birmingham for more tips and tricks. We’re happy to help!